Topper - what is it?
In addition to the mattress and the slatted frame, a topper can also increase mattress comfort. Toppers are mattress supports with a height of approximately 4 to a maximum of 9 cm. In terms of construction, a topper is much like a mattress. The topper has a core and a cover. For the individual components, there are many different materials that can be used. So there can be many different toppers. They give added support to the mattress and make it more pleasant. The actual function of the mattress is not restricted. The topper is attached to the mattress corners with one rubber connector per corner. There are also extra anti-slip coatings, which prevent the topper from slipping back and forth on the mattress.
At first toppers were only part of boxspring beds. This substructure forms a box on which the mattress sits. Then on the mattress lies the topper. The topper is now also used for normal bed frames with slatted frames and mattress. A topper is designed to customize the comfort of the mattress over all. If a mattress is too hard, a topper can help to make the mattress feel softer. If a mattress is too soft a topper can help to make the mattress feel harder.
What to look out for?
When it comes to the quality of a Toppers, the material and the degree of hardness are important. The most popular materials are visco-elastic foam, cold foam and latex. For this, the body weight of the person plays an important role. Accordingly, the degree of hardness must be selected. If you would like your mattress very cozy and cuddly, choose a soft topper. On the other hand, people who like a hard bed should choose a higher degree of hardness. On average, most people choose a topper with a height of 5 cm.
Points to remember:
- A topper allows individual adaptation to different sleeping types.
- A topper is an alternative to purchasing a new mattress, because a topper can improve a too soft or hard mattress.
- Toppers can be used for orthopedic problems.
- Toppers also protect the underlying mattress from wear and tear.
- A mattress that is very uncomfortable and does not support your back should be replaced.
- A topper is usually only a good alternative when there is no good or sufficient alternative.